Monday, May 21, 2007

My first square
















Now that I am done with the ripple afghan I decided to dive in and try my hand at making some of the blocks in my new book. I have two of these made already and today I sketched out an afghan that I am going to make using squares from the book.

I did have some difficulty following the pattern at first. I had to read it over several times and I actually started it over three times before getting it right.

My suggestions when you start a new pattern:

Make a copy of the instructions (so you don't have to have the book open the entire time)

Write out the instructions as you understand them

and finally,

make some kind of hash mark or checkmark beside the instructions for each row as you complete it so that you can keep your place!


If you are using this book I found a link to corrections here! You can also find a review of the book here!

Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Jada said...

Thats a good idea to write out your pattern.Thanks!!

3:07 PM  
Blogger Adrienne said...

I write out all my knitting patterns. that way I can cross off as I go. I have that same book and haven't started a thing from it yet. I want to do my ripple first lol

5:44 PM  
Blogger Alida Sharp said...

I think I may have first read that tip in the book Crocheting in Plain English or her other one Knitting in Plain English. I just didn't take it seriously for a while. But, I will do it from now on because I see the benefit in taking time to do that step.

8:46 PM  
Blogger Kimberly said...

I like the colors you chose for your square. Reminds me of the purple iris.

I have found that writing out my own instructions for patterns that are a bit unclear really helps me. Before, I wouldn't use check marks to marks to mark my place but recently I found how useful it really is.

7:44 PM  
Blogger PattieJ said...

Very nice! I have that book too.

12:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home